New Roads School was founded on the fundamental principle of inclusion. More than most schools, we actively seek a mosaic of broad and genuine diversity in our community -- diversity of talents, interests, learning profiles, achievements, races, cultures, economic and ethnic backgrounds – and our generous financial aid program reflects and facilitates this crucial goal.
Every year New Roads School devotes between 40% and 50% of its tuition budget to need-based financial assistance. This enables us to provide financial aid to more than 50% of our New Roads families. Because we believe education is a partnership among parents, students, and faculty, every family makes some financial contribution, consistent with their means, to their child’s tuition.
New Roads' financial aid program follows several guidelines:
- Students receiving financial aid must meet the same admission requirements as all other incoming students.
- The decision to offer admission to a student is made prior to, and independent of, decisions to grant financial aid.
- All financial aid applications are confidential.
- Financial aid funds, while generous, are nonetheless limited; demonstrating need does not guarantee support.
- Financial aid is reviewed annually. If financial need continues, and if student performance is satisfactory, aid is generally continued. However, as costs and tuition increase, families can expect increases in their tuition obligations.
Factors considered in determining financial assistance include:
- Economic need of the requesting family
- How a grant of aid will help the school’s overall ethnic, racial, gender, cultural, and socio-economic diversity
- Contributions and/or challenges a student or family might bring to a school program
- Needs of employees of New Roads School
- Financial difficulties of continuing New Roads families
- Other children in elementary or secondary private school (Since loans are readily available for college and university study, New Roads does not consider the expense of college education for other family members in making financial aid decisions.)
- Savings – including those a family may designate as “college savings”
- Expenses for “lifestyle” choices such as vehicles, homes, vacations, club memberships, etc.
- Health care expenses
We make every effort to be fair and consistent in all of our deliberations and decisions at New Roads School. Financial assistance decisions are particularly difficult since we wish every qualified student could attend New Roads; unfortunately, this is not possible. Failure by the school to grant the level of aid requested is by no means a commentary on the legitimacy of the request. Our Financial Aid Committee often must choose among many competing and legitimate requests. In making these challenging decisions, New Roads School reserves the right to consider additional factors not specifically set forth above.
An online Financial Aid application is available on the Admissions Overview