Upper School English Teacher (Long-Term Substitute)
New Roads School is an innovative, fully-accredited K-12 independent school serving more than 650 students on campuses in West Los Angeles (grades K–5) and Santa Monica (grades 6-12), California. New Roads is committed to nurturing the curiosity of each student while delivering top-quality college preparatory education to a student body representing the broad economic and cultural diversity of Greater Los Angeles. To back up that commitment, New Roads provides approximately 51% of its students with need-based financial aid each year. Founded in 1995, New Roads’ rests upon several fundamental commitments, including: the development and valuing of a diverse community; recognition, appreciation, and encouragement of individual human potential; excellence in academic, artistic, and physical expression; and responsibility for, and participation in, the larger ecological and social community.
This long-term substitute teaching assignment includes 10th & 11th grade English along with a possible Creative Writing elective class.
Ideal candidates will have significant experience in English, the humanities and/or language arts instruction, preferably at the high school level, and will demonstrate a clear understanding of both traditional and project based, constructivist teaching and learning.
- Passion for working with students in line with the New Roads School’s fundamental commitments
- Strong communication skills, excellent listening and speaking skills
- Classroom teaching experience in the humanities in a progressive teaching environment at the high school level
- An ability to work easily with a diverse community of students and adults
- Understands the importance of and believes in teamwork and community
- Bachelors or Masters in a relevant field